This has been a week for appointments.
I had a root canal on one of my upper pre molars a few years ago. When I was first pregnant the tooth cracked and I lost a piece of it. This was around when I was puking every day, so I knew going to the dentist was a bad idea. Well the other day it cracked further and now the front half of the tooth is loose. I decided I really had better see a dentist. Turns out that they really can’t do much for teeth when you are pregnant. There isn’t really anything they can do for the tooth now anyways. It is too cracked to use to make a crown. In the fall I will have to have surgery to have the tooth removed and then we will look at doing an implant. Implants don’t sound fun, basically a screw into your bone with a false tooth attached. Such fun to look forward to in the future.
Thursday I had a consult with the anesthesiologist. It was interesting. He explained the different types of pain management available and also went over what is considered the least risky with twins. There are basically 2 scenarios that are likely. 1st if both babies (or possibly just baby A) are head down then a vaginal delivery may be possible. He recommended having an early epidural in place as soon as I start going into labor. With twins they want you to labor in the operating room in case they suddenly need to do an emergency C section. He explained the differences between epidurals and spinals (same thing except with an epi they leave a tube in so they can keep adding medication.) I had a spinal with my Cerclage surgery, so I know what to expect there. The 2nd scenario that is likely is that Baby A is breech, and I will have a spinal and a planned C section.
I have gained 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks (19 total so far). My blood pressure seems to be staying the same. I did the Gestational diabetes test again today, so hopefully when I get the results from that next week I will pass it again.
I had another ultrasound today. All is well. The babies are both looking very cute in there. They are both still breech with their heads together (almost touching, just the thin membranes between them). It looked like Baby B was whispering in Baby A’s ear. They just did a quick check today, they will do measurements again in 2 weeks. The also checked my cervix. Good news! There has been no change. It almost looked like it had gotten a little longer; she measured it at 2 cm in a couple of shots and 1.8 in another. Even putting pressure down on it by pushing on the babies, she couldn’t see any shortening. It was decided that I was safe to go home for another 2 weeks. We delayed the steroid shots again. I might get them next time at 30 weeks if it looks like I will need them.
Great news on your appointments! You're doing an awesome job of baking those babies, Momma!
ReplyDelete