Well I had a long day today... my first day out of the house in 13 days.
I had an appointment with my OB this afternoon. Everything looked good there. I had only gained one pound in the last 2 weeks. My blood pressure was good and there was no sugar or proteins in my urine. I talked with my Dr about the contractions I had had on the weekend and the soreness and pressure I have been feeling occasionally in my pelvis. She decided to send me right away to the IWK hospital for an ultrasound. I hadn't had one for 2 weeks and was booked to have one again until May 1st.
The ultrasound was fine, both babies are looking good. Both are over a pound and a half and over a foot long. The Dr said they were growing really well. We then did the transvaginal to check on my cervix. No change. Still at 1.8 cm with funneling, but it hasn't gotten any worse. The stitch is still in place and seems to be holding well.
I had a long chat with the Drs there to decide what the plan is. Basically I am on the verge of hospitalisation/being at home on bed rest. I am back at home, but am to do absolutely nothing. The Dr joked that the extent of my exercise should be changing the channel on the remote.
We discussed steroid shots. (Used to mature the babies lungs). He explained to me that it is really only safe to give the shots once, and that the effects tend to wear off in a couple of weeks. So we could have done the shots today (almost 24 weeks), but by 26 weeks they would have worn off. He said we want to delay them as long as posssible, but not wait too long. It is a hard decision when to have them as we have no way of knowing when labour will start (hopefully not until 37 weeks!)
I will go back next week for another ultrasound of my cervix and we will see about doing the shots then, or maybe the week afterwards.
Keeping my fingers crossed and thinking of the four of you!! Hang in there! Maybe upside down like a bat until July ;-) xo Sharon
ReplyDeleteHang in there! If you have to stay hospitalized, at least you'll be in the best place when the babies come. My friend delivered quadruplets at 28 weeks, and had been on bed rest for the last month of her pregnancy. Those quads are now happy and healthy and turning 8 years old, I believe, next month.
ReplyDelete