I have been looking at lists of what people feel are necessary items for babies. I went through a few of these lists and came up with my own. I am looking for comments on what I may have missed and on things I might not actually need. I am planning on painting the nursery a Robin's Egg blue/green and would like to include some Beatrix Potter themed items into the room. I want the room to be good for a boy and a girl as the twins will be sharing for the first few years .
Here is my list, take a look and feel free to comment. Things that I dont view as necessary/am not sure about I have put a ? besides.
Baby stuff:
Nursery and Baby Gear:
Crib
Crib
Matress
Matress
Crib Matress Pads (2-4)
Changing table and/or dresser
Changing Table Pad
Baby Monitors (1? Or 2 with motion detectors?)
Baskets
Shelves/Bins
Closet Organizer
Baby Clothes Hangers
Glider or rocker and ottoman
Lamp with dimmer
Pack and Play (and/or 2 bassinets)
Double Stroller
Car Seat
Car Seat
High Chair
High Chair
Bumbee?
Bumbee?
Crib Sheets (6 +)
Mesh Bumpers(2)
Crib Skirts (2)
Curtains/ rod
Crib Mobile?
Crib Mobile?
Clothes Hamper
Baby Swings and/or bouncy seats?
Slings (2)
Jolly Jumpers?
Gymborees?
Baby Gate
Baby proofing items
Toys/Books
Layette:
Receiving/Baby Blankets (lots)
Onesies (10-20 in each size)
Sleepers (10-20 in each size)
Baby Hats (4)
Socks/Booties
Bibs(10+)
Sweaters/Long sleeve shirts
Pants/Overalls
Cute outfits (Boy and Girl)
Snowsuits/Hats/Mitts/Boots (6 months?)
Personal Care:
Diapers (lots! Prefer Green Brands)
Wipes (at home and travel)
Diaper Bag with Changing Pad
Daper Rash Ointment
Underpads
Baby Bathtub
Bath Toys
Shampoo/Soap/Lotion
Face cloths
Hooded towels
Thermometers
Baby nail clippers
Suction bulb
GripeWater
Pain Reliever
Teething Rings/Toys
Pacifiers
First Aid Kit
Hairbrush/Comb
Feeding:
Nursing Pillow (rent from POMBA?)
Breast Pump (Good quality electric)
Nursing Pads
Bottles
Bottle brush
New Born Nipples
Formula(? Just in case)
Baby Dishes/Utensils
Sippy Cups
Anything else?????????
Here's my 2 cents! Great list!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget a diaper genie, or something like that.
For mattress pads, I would have at least 4, especially if you are planning on having two cribs. When a leak happens, you will need a back-up while you wash the other. Same with changing table pad covers, I have 3 and have sometimes had to use all three in one day. Also, I use lap pads under Jocelyn's bottom on top of the changing pad covers, to try to catch anything from her bottom, or if she accidently pees while I'm changing her...this saves changing the whole pad cover sometimes.
As for receiving blankets, we had a ton, and I could have probably done with 2 or 3. They are so small and baby outgrew them fast.
If you are planning on breast feeding, make sure you have some lanolin cream for your nipples!
Nella - I think your list looks pretty good! I was overwhelmed by my situation as I'm sure you can understand, so I started out simple and then bought more as I went and as I discovered my preferences and their needs. I just had no idea how to prepare in some ways for my twins... anyway, you aren't in that situation, but that approach still worked out really well for me. I got most of the basics at my showers and then I have bought stuff as I have needed it along the way. I would be happy to help you with specifics... if you would like to send me an email (leslie_foster at hotmail dot com) with the brands or exact things you are thinking. I am a bit of a minimalist though. I only want what I really use... I just can't stand clutter or things going to waste! And I didn't overbuy because when you are thinking of getting two of everything, well... it is a lot of stuff!
ReplyDelete-Leslie
Hi Nella,
ReplyDeleteI think you have a really good list going. I know alot of twins share a crib for sometime, prior to going to two cribs, in case that helps the priority of things. Also, it is somewhat controversial, but you don't have to have a bumper, and our pediatrician says NO to them completely due to the risk they can get stuck, even on the ones that they say are safe. I don't know if that helps or hurts. For me, a good glider chair and foot still is an absolute must, must. You spend so many hours of your life there, until they are 2ish and can be comforted without rocking.
I would think you would want alot of wipes, and swaddle blankets. We like the kind that does it for you, the swaddle.
Do you have pacis on there? Those are fun to put on the top of a present. We like the soothie kind, which is the kind most hospitals give out. They look different than a normal paci.
Shelley
B. never had a mobile but still loves his rainforest nigt light. And I agree to spend good money on a nice glider. I got mine used, so that's a way to save. Also see if you have a nice consignment store nearby. There were Bumbos and nursing pillows, pack n plays, clothes, bouncies, strollers, car seats and MORE at the one by our house! The owner won't take anything not in good condition. After seeing all that, I was mad at myself for buying some things full price.
ReplyDeletei'll respond to items later, but the most imp thing i can't stress enough is if you want to BF line up an LC BEFORE you deliver. you can check the LLL in your area or hospital may have resources. i wish i had done this prior to giving birth so i could have prepared, etc. but you may have to supplement also, so don't feel bad if you have to. the hospitals here give tons of free formula. you can also get online and register for coupons. i hope you are having a shower- soon. then you can swap and exchange what you need. you are so far along! more later...
ReplyDeleteHi Nella,
ReplyDeleteI had the cutest bumper on Sadie's crib but after I read about preventing SID's I tore it off. Def agree with the lanolin comment, and I would even put it in your bag for the hospital.
Emily
Nella- you will not need 2 slings unless your dh is going to use one. You will only need 1 bumbo and 1 swing to switch the babies around. As for onesies...6-8 is suffice as your run out of drawer space and you'll see that you dress them in the same clothes in the beginning anyways. Get yourself a good pump so you can get more breast milk. Nursing twins is very STRESSFUL! You want to feed and or pump every 45 minutes to an hour the first few months or you just won't have the supply for both babies. You'll want to get the twin nursing pillow. You can only get them online they run about $150.00. You will only need 1 monitor, and bassinets I found were a waste of money (since they are in it for such a small amount of time) I used a twin pak n' play and they only were in our room for about 5 days. They shared 1 crib for 6 months. The ottoman or glider is too small with 2 babies...you'll want to be on your own bed or couch to nurse both of them. Gripe water was not a necessity and did nothing for the girls. Teething tabs were good, but don't need them for quite a while. You want to get a floor gym as well. Any of the bouncers or jumpers are going to be harder to find as they are bad for babies spines and legs. Once again not a necessity. And not needed for 4-6 months. As for diaper pail, just get a regular trash can in the beginning you are going through 35-40 diapers a day, and the genies and other diaper pails don't hold up to that many uses....
ReplyDeleteI'll think more of what is needed...but that is all I can think of at this time.
I can't comment on what you need for twins, but for Zoe I found the baby bath to be a waste of money, we just bathed together until she was about a year old. And most crib mattresses are vinyl these days, so you just need a thin blanket to put under the crib sheet to reduce the "crinkle" factor.
ReplyDeleteI loved Zoe's bouncy chair when she was little - it was a life saver - but you never know what will work for your little ones. Like someone else said, buy as you go or you'll end up spending a lot of money on things you don't really need. Hold off as long as you can on some of the bigger items (esp. the highchairs) because you'll be able to get them cheaper at the POMBA sale. You won't really need the highchairs until the babes are around 6 months old. If you have Bumbo's you could use them as highchairs for the first few months of eating. They wash up like a dream!
Hi Nella,
ReplyDeleteFrom my Nanny days here is what I've found -
- Gripe water isn't used with very young babies anymore, but the stuff is still for sale. Some brands can't be sold in Canada. Best to check with baby's Dr.
-Thin faceclothes are best as you can get them into the nooks and crannies (ears, toes etc.) that fluffy face clothes can't fit
- A baby swing or seat with a "vibrate" function can be a life saver - something about it really gives relief to colicky babies or when they are too wired to sleep
-The only socks to buy are eleasticy all over otherwise they fall off!
-The leather baby slippers like Robeez are fantastic- they stay on and help keep socks on, even before they are trying to walk, great for keeping toes warm
-You need something fun for the floor for tummy time to help them build strength, maybe borrow a play mat for awhile
-forget about any sort of crib bumper, the less in the crib the safer it is, and a waste of $
-old cloth diapers are great for burp rags and are small and easy to wash
-when I was taking care of 3 kids (including one newborn) I hated having a diaper bag sliding off my shoulder when trying to carry one or two kids. I just used my smallest backpack and it made things easier in some situations (walking without the stroller, on the bus, playing in the park away from the stroller etc.)also looks coller for guys ;-)
- You should look for a stroller that can carry a lot of stuff under the stroller or in pockets - hanging stuff from the handles can unbalance a stroller especially when babies are light
-I snapped the front wheels off a stroller in slush trying to get the kids to school on time - small front wheels are a pain in slush, snow, sand etc.,
- You will laugh, but baby nail clippers freaked me out and freaked out the baby's mom, and the baby's Mom had a great idea and just "nibbled" the newborn's nails to keep them short until the baby was older and the nails much more defined and easy to see
-pack and play's are much more practical then a bassinet, bassinet's are only good for a few months and quickly are outgrown
-when the babies are really small, easier on your knees and back to wash them in a clean kitchen sink - no bending, and no extra baby bath to buy, and you can have the towle, shampoo etc. right there, also as they are so slippery, easier to have them at your height, once they are bigger just pop them into a regular bath and get yourself a little stool to sit on while you bath them