Saturday, April 11, 2009

23 weeks pregnant

Not too much has changed in this past week. I am still at home, still on bedrest. I haven't left the house in over a week, unless standing on the balcony counts. I have had a few visitors this week, which makes life much more interesting. Thanks! I did count down the days until my July (37 weeks) due date and there are less than 100 left. My next OB appointment is next Thursday and my next ultrasound is May 1st. I find myself looking forward to these dates as they mean I get to leave the house. Both babies continue to be active. I feel lots of kicks and some of them even sort of hurt (like when Baby A kicks me in the bladder/cervix.) My belly feels huge, and I am scared to see what it looks like a few months from now. I have chatted to a few other Moms of multiples and have heard the stories of "twin skin" that results from all the stretching. Ah well, I never wore bikinis anyways...

Here is part of this weeks e-mail update:

Your baby now weighs a little over one pound/ 500 grams and measures about 11.4 inches/ 29 centimetres from crown to heel. (They were both 1 pound 2 ounces over a week ago) Her hearing is well established and she can make out a distorted version of your voice, the beating of your heart and your stomach rumblings. (And Daddy and Grandma chatting to them?) Loud noises often heard in utero, such as the barking of a dog next door or the roar of a vacuum cleaner, probably won't bother your child when she hears them outside the womb.
In addition to advances in your baby's hearing, her lungs are developing to prepare for breathing. She's swallowing but usually won't pass stool until after birth. If your baby were to be born now, she would have a good chance of survival (about 85 per cent) with the right care. Advances in science and technology now mean that a 24-week-old baby can grow outside the womb if necessary.
As for you, you may feel clumsy now that your centre of gravity has shifted (Do I ever feel clumsy!). Your gums may bleed when you brush your teeth (Nope!) and your belly button, once an 'innie', may now stick out. Don't worry. It'll revert to its pre-baby state soon after you give birth. ( Mine is still an innie, but much wider and shallower)

No comments:

Post a Comment