Saturday, January 31, 2009

13 weeks pregnant

I have been posting the weekly updates I get e-mailed, but as they really only apply to singletons I think I will just try to do a weekly update on my own.
I read that the babies are each about the size and weight of half a banana, so I figure I am carrying around a whole banana in there. I actually lost weight in the first trimester (only a few pounds), but things seem to have been repositioning. I can definitly feel a solid little bump between my belly button and my pelvic bone. My pants feel tighter in the front. The first thing I do when I get home is change into my stretchy yoga pants. I think I will need to do some shopping soon for maternity pants.
At 13 weeks the babies also are supposed to have their own finger prints. I think that is pretty cool. As well if I poke my bump they are supposed to react to the pressure by moving or trying to find something to suck on. I can't feel them moving yet, but I know from seeing them on the ultrasound that they are very active in there. Twice when I was leaning over and squishing my belly I felt what could be described as a butterfly flutter. I couldn't really say for sure if it was movement or just gas or something, but it is exciting to think that soon I will be able to feel them wiggling around in there all the time.
I was hopeful that the puking was going to ease up at the beginning of the week, I had 2 days in a row where all I did was gag and have nausea, no actual puking. Well Friday I puked 3 times, so I guess I will continue to feel sick for a while longer. Oh well it is worth it. I am also really tired still, but am having some trouble sleeping. Baby A was doing a headstand on my bladder during the ultrasound, and I continue to have to pee all the time.
I have had a lot of questions about fraternal or identical twins. They told me that they couldn't tell that yet. The babies are more likely fraternal as I know I released multiple eggs, but it is possible that only one fertilised and then split. They are each in their own sack with their own placenta. This is apparently a good thing as there are less risks than if they share stuff.
I would be due at the beginning of August if I was having a singleton, but with twins full term is usually only 37 weeks, which means I am due around mid July.
I have started looking around at baby stuff. Wow some of it is expensive! Especially when you have to look at getting 2 of many things. People seem to be really generous when they hear you are having twins. I have already had friends offer me some of their used baby stuff.
Next ultrasound is at 2:30 on March 16th. I can't wait to see the babies again. After that I will be getting ultrasounds ever 2 to 4 weeks so that they can keep track of growth and check on my cervix.

2 comments:

  1. Nella: This post brought tears to my eyes. It is so cool you get to prepare for twins!! I can't believe your next u/s is so far away :( (for me anyways)...I think what you are feeling is the initial movement -- Oh I can't wait to hear about when you feel the first KICK!! (or should I say kicks and punches?)...Oh honey I am so so happy for you!! And Ian too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! I love thinking about these 2 sweet little babies bumping around in there. They will be really big on March 16! Do you think you might be able to find out the gender then? i am trying to think of how many weeks you'll be... Do you guys even plan on finding out the gender(s)?

    ReplyDelete