Friday, March 20, 2009

Surgery

It has been a few days since the surgery now, but I decided to write about it. If you don't like hearing about medical stuff, skip this post.

Around 10 on Monday evening we headed down to the surgery section of the hospital. Just as we were arriving another team arrived for an emergency c-section, so we got bumped and had to wait for a few minutes.We got to sit in the room outside the operating room which had doors that opened to the helicopter pad. Watching/hearing the helicopter arrive and leave was a good distraction for us. Finally they were ready for me and we said our goodbyes as hubby wasn't allowed in the operating room or in recovery. He went back to my hospital room to wait for news.

I was taken into the operating room and climbed up on the table. Here I met the anisitologist who explained how the spinal block would work. I was very happy not to have to be completely put under although the idea of having a needle in my spine scared the crap out of me. (fortunately not litterally as that would have been embaressing to poop on the table in my backless Johnny shirt). Before the spinal he put in an IV. I am not a little person, but unfortunately I don't have veins to match. He searched and searched for a good one to use and finally tried one on the top of my hand. It collapsed right away. So he then was forced to go into my wrist and managed to get the IV into a decent vein there. Now I was ready for the spinal block.

I was instructed to sit up on the table and was given a pillow to hug. I had to drop my chin to my chest, drop my shoulders and curl my spine as much as possible. The ER nurse held my hands and talked to me from the front as he went to work from the back. I closed my eyes, imagined myself somewhere else and thought about taking deep relaxing breaths. He used a small needle to numb the area and then went in with the spinal block needle. I felt no pain. I felt him pushing a lot and a lot of pressure on my spine as he located the right spot and got the needle in deep enough. Overall not a traumatic experience at all. I wont worry too much if I ever have to do it again.

As I sat there I felt this warmth start in my butt cheeks and slowly spread down to my feet. It actually felt good as my naked little toes were so cold. The operating room is really icy cold. They got me to lay down quickly before I couldn't move my lower body. Even as I was moving I could feel how heavy and numb my legs were getting. A few seconds later I couldn't move them at all and they had to lift my legs into the stirrups and position me for the operation.

I have never had a real operation before (dental and a lump removed from my lip don't really count) so all the bells and whistles were new to me. I was hooked up to IV, a blood pressure cuff that activated every 5 minutes and gave me hickeys on my arm from pinching me, a catheter to stop me from peeing on all of them (put in after I was numb fortunately), and a clip on my finger to monitor my heart and oxygen levels. I could turn my head and watch the monitors and see the pattern of my heart beats. I was also suprised by the number of people in the room. I had 3 surgeons, 2 or 3 OR nurses , the nurse who was by my head and the anisitologist. All were dressed in green scrubs, wore masks and had funny little hats on their heads. I kind of felt like I was on the set of Scrubs or Greys Anatomy. No McDreamy or McSteamy though...

After they had me in position, head down, butt in the air with feet spread out on stirrups, girl parts exposed to the air. The draped me in blue cloths and got to work. I had one nurse by my head, and we basically chatted the whole time. I felt like I was two people. One was my upper half, totally normal having a conversation, the second was my bottom half which was blocked by blue sheets and had no feeling. I kind of detached myself from the 2nd half of my body and the 6 or 7 people staring at my whoha under bright lights. I have no idea how long the operation lasted (they had said it would be about an hour before going in) but I basically didn't feel a thing. I could feel a little pressure and touch on my legs occasionally, but where they were actually doing stuff I couldn't feel a thing. The group at the end of the table between my legs talked amongst themselves, but I kind of tuned it out. I did overhear the comments "perfect" and "went well" near the end.

Finally they said they were done and I got to be transfered from the operating table to a bed with wheels thing (guerny?) and was taken to the recovery room. Here the nurse called up to my hospital room and I got to tell hubby his wife was still alive, although not kicking yet. I reminded him to call my Mom as well as I knew she would be worried too. We waited in the recovery room (nurse and I) until I had started to get feeling back and could move my lower half a little bit. I was still hooked up to blood pressure, heart monitor, IV and catheter during this wait. My blood pressure (normally on the high side) took a real nose dive and I got very cold and shakey. The nurse wrapped me up well in heated flannel sheets and assured me that , although lower than normal , it was still safe numbers and was due to the meds in my body.

When you go to the dentist and have a freezing there is always a moment when you realise that you can smile again. It was like that with the lower half of my body. First I could activate a thigh muscle and make my legs wiggle a little. Next I could contract calf muscles. Eventually I had some wiggles in my toes and could roll around a little bit. At this point the nurse decided to push me back to my room. I rolled myself (kind of like a log) of the stretcher and onto my hospital bed in my room. By this time it was really late, and I basically went to sleep for the night. I was hooked up to IV and a catheter still, so couldn't move around much in bed. I also had nurses popping in quite often to check on me, give. It wasn't the best nights sleep...

The risks with cerclage surgery are rare, but scary. Bleeding (which I had a little of the first day), blood clots (which I am getting shots 3 times a day to prevent), water breaking (hasn't happened!), going into labour, and infection. The Dr told me that the first 24-48 hours were critical and that the first week would tell us how it had gone. It is now Friday and everything looks good so far. My blood pressure is fine, my temps are fine, I have no cramping or signs of labour. A few digestive issues and headaches, but nothing too scary. I am off of IV, the catheter is gone (thank God, it was the worst part of the whole operation, it caused me to have bladder contractions which were painful and burned) and am allowed up to the bathroom and to shower once a day.

I would prefer not to be on bed rest in the hospital, but if that is where I have to be I am in a good place. All of the nurses and Drs so far I have met have been excellent and really nice. I have a private room with a view of the city and the harbour. I have a cot in my room so hubby can sleep over when he wants to. I have a menu and can "dial to dine" when I am hungry. I have my own bathroom and shower. It isn't home and I really miss fresh air and my animals, but all in all it isn't a horrible place. Although I have lost it a few times and just bawled because I want to go home. I am allowed visitors and have had a few. Hubby (who basically lived here the first couple of days), my Mom, and 3 or 4 of my best friends have come by to visit. I have had lots of people call or message me to check on how I am doing as well. I feel like I have a good support system. Thanks everyone!

I am here until at least Tuesday (one full week since the operation) to make sure I don't develop infections etc. On Tuesday we will do another ultrasound of my cervix, and will see how the surgery worked. If everything is 100% perfect I may be allowed home on bed rest then. If there is any question of wether I should go home or stay here, I will be staying put. As much as I love my house and animals, I am prepared to spend the next 17 weeks in this hospital bed if that is what it takes to get the twins safely here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's all been rather scary, but it sounds like the cerclage is doing the trick. I hope they give you the ok to go home on Tuesday, and hopefully you can find out of the other baby is a boy or a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound in great spirits! Glad everything is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you had to go through all this but glad that it is over and that it worked! Continued good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete