Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cerclage

After checking the babies, the Dr used the ultrasound to check on my cervix. What they found wasn't good. My cervix had shortened and was starting to open on the inside allowing for "funneling". We then discussed what this meant (not a pleasant discussion) and were given 2 options.
Option 1 was to do nothing except go on bed rest. This option involved waiting to see what happened. The likely risk here was that my cervix could continue to open and that the babies could be born any time when that happened. If the next time they checked my cervix was fully open, there was really nothing that could be done.
At that point I asked what option 2 was...
Option 2 was a cerclage surgery. Here the surgeons would go in through my vagina and sew up the cervix. Hoping to close what had opened and to keep the rest from opening any more. As I understand it, to place a stitch around the cervix and pull it tight kind of like a draw string. If this worked successfully it could mean keeping the babies in longer, possibly even to full term of 37 weeks. The risks are that the operation wouldn't be successful, that my water could break, that I could go into labour, that I could develop an infection.
Although neither option was what we wanted (have no problem to start with), after much thought, crying and more thought we decided to go with option 2.

With this type of surgery, once you decide to do it, they start preparing right away. We didn't even leave the hospital. I had eaten lunch, so we basically had to wait for that to get out of my system, and then the surgery was scheduled. The decision was made before 5 and by 10 that night I was in the operating room.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that it was done as a preventative thing and not that you were in immediate danger. Keep us posted:)

    ReplyDelete