Thursday, June 25, 2009

Back in the hospital...

Yesterday I got a couple of high blood pressure readings at home, plus I started having some contractions that actually hurt a little. I also was feeling the babies move less than they normally do. Sooo we packed our bags up again and headed back to the IWK.

After many hours in admitting, numerous blood pressure checks, monitors on the babies heartbeats, contraction monitors, ultrasounds, blood work and urine tests they decided to admit me again. By now it was 1 in the morning!

I am in room 718 in section 7a if anyone wants to call or come visit.

The babies will be 34 weeks on Saturday. Twins on average arrive around 34-35 weeks, so we are in a good place. A great place when you consider that they were pretty close to arriving at 19 weeks. They have stayed in and growing for longer than we could have even hoped for a few months ago.

Today I have had even more tests. My blood pressure was slightly lower today. I have to pee in a bucket for 24 hours so they can test my urine. For the first time last night I had some protein in my pee, which is a bad sign. Hopefully the 24 hour test won’t show anything too terrible. They did blood work which shows organ function last night and everything looked great, so the protein could be a one time thing. It is looking like I might be developing pre- eclampsia though, so I am glad to be in a place where I am being monitored so carefully.

I went for a BPP, Doppler and measurement ultrasound this morning. Babies are looking great! Babies both scored 8/8 on their BPP ( practice breathing, movement, muscle tone, fluids, etc.) Their Doppler readings were great, which shows the placentas are still functioning fine and they have both had a growth spurt in the last 2 weeks, putting on over a pound each (no wonder my belly feels like it is stretched tight like a drum). They both weighed in at 4 pounds 10 ounces!

I received the first of 2 steroid shots today (my butt stings a bit now), and will get the second tom. These help to mature the babies lungs and get them ready for the outside world.

It looks like within the next 2 weeks I will be having a C section. Both babies are still breech, and running out of room to turn.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're back in the hospital, but it seems like all is well with the babies and that you are where you think you should be and are comfortable. I am so excited that you have made it this far and that it is almost time to meet the babies!! I will be TOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nella...I'm sorry you're back in the hospital too, but glad they are taking good care of you and the babies! Sorry about the c/s but I know how long you've waited for these babies too! ((HUGS))....You know I had high proteins and slightly elevated blood pressure from 32 weeks with Zachary and still I made it to 38w3d...I had to pee in a jug every week from 32 weeks...I know it's different b/c you are having twins...I am so proud that you've made it this far and bet you will be the best mommy!!
    I was gonna say I can't wait to meet them, but I'll be patient...as long as they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nella -- hang in there! I am so sorry you are no longer at home but it still sounds like the babies (and you!) are doing great -- and like you said, SO much better than you thought at 19 weeks. I am so excited for you -- and I know you are scared but 4 pounders are good sized babies for twins -- especially at 34 weeks! Don't worry too much (I know easier said than done) about the urine test yesterday -- until they have the 24 hour result, it really doesn't mean much. I had protein in my urine the whole time I was on bedrest, but my number was borderline so it was really all ok. again -- I am not trying to minimize your feelings, I know it's scary but it all sounds really positive at this point. You made it this far and the babies sound really healthy! Trista

    ReplyDelete