Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A crappy day!

I wrote this e-mail yesterday to the Mom of the baby I look after and to Ian. They both told me it was hilarious, so I decided to post a copy of the e-mail here:

Just had to share this with you guys as you are both dealing with "crap" at work... I have had a very poopy morning. Literally.

Fortunately the poopiness hasn't come from the behaviour of our three, they have all be quite cute and surprisingly not too cranky this morning (after both Amelia and Alex being up in the night). Nope, the poopiness comes from all the pooping!

Last count Anna hit number 9 for the day so far. Making them all at an even 3 each, above average for all of them. It is in the quantity that Amelia wins hands down. (edited to add that Amelia hit 5 by the days end bringing the total up to 11)

After delivering 2 very average sized and well contained specimens, one this morning and one after eating lunch, Amelia was happily playing with the Bumbo when I noticed that the back of her pants looked wet. I had changed her about 20 minutes before that, so wondered what was going on. I figured something had spilled in the bumbo and she had managed to sit in it. Nope. I could tell by the smell as I approached this wasn't the case. I grabbed some dry clothes and Amelia, and headed to the changing table. Covered the table with a prefold diaper to prevent her wet pants from getting the cover wet, laid her down, grabbed a clean diaper and her package of wipes. All set...

Well when I took her pants off I saw that she had poop running down her legs as far as her knees. It had escaped from both legs of the diaper. Next as I carefully peeled back her onesie, rolling it up each stage of the way the poop kept appearing, her onesie was soaked, her sweater was damp and her back was slimy. I carefully folded fabric over to make sure nothing would touch her and pulled the shirts off over her head. Now we were just down to the diaper.

Looking at the diaper I figured I must have done something wrong to allow for this to happen, but nope, it was firmly closed with the tabs almost overlapping, it hadn't slipped down or off to the side or anything. So I turned my head, took a deep breath and released the tabs. It was completely totally brimming over full. The little leg elastics on diapers ment to keep stuff contained were working just fine, but they had overflowed. And yes, I swear, there were a few bubbles even.

I have never ever seen this much poop come out of a baby!

So the cleanup began. Wipe after wipe I attacked the mess. And kept finding more. The backs of the knees even. Almost half a pack of wipes later I gave up. The smell just wasn't going away. I looked at poor naked Amelia, grabbed her under the armpits, grabbed a towel and some bath soap and into the bath she went. She was not happy about this. But after tears, towels, a new diaper, clean clothes and cuddles, she fell sound asleep. She is now snoozing away happily tucked into her bed. Her clothes are sprayed out and packaged for you to take home.

And then when I went to put Anna and Alex to bed... what did I find? Poopy diapers from BOTH of them!

1 comment: