Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Giving thanks

We just had Thanksgiving weekend, and like many during this time, I found myself thinking of all the things I am thankful for:

My husband, Ian, would be top of my list for things I am thankful for. We have been married for just over 6 years. I still find myself pinching myself sometimes to believe it is true that I met, dated and married someone who is so great. We have our differences, and for sure we annoy each other from time to time, but we love each other. The past few years dealing with the loss of our first baby, trouble getting pregnant again and fears that we never would, threats to this pregnancy, time with our babies in the NICU and life with TWO newborns he has been my rock.

My babies Alex and Anna are high up on my list too. I always wanted kids and after the struggles we went through to get these two here, I appreciate them even more. They are two unique little individuals who brighten my day. I am looking forward to seeing them grow up. (Hopefully not too fast!)

My Mother has always been there in my life, she raised me, encouraged me, cherished me and loved me. Since Anna and Alex have arrived (and even before) she has been there to help and continues make time in her busy life for her Grandkids. I know she will be as important a person to them as she is to me.

Friends and family are really important to me. I am lucky to have many individuals in my life, who brighten it in many ways. People who offer support to us when we need it, celebrate with us when we have something to celebrate, share with us the good times and the bad. Some people I see often , some only once in a while, but I am thankful for everyone who enriches my life.

I am thankful for my health. Although ,like many people, there are things I would change about how I look, I am lucky to have a body that is healthy. The only times I have really had to see a Dr are for things I inflicted on myself by the choices I made (ride horses, have babies, etc) My body was able to grow TWO perfect little babies and to house them long enough to come safely into the world. That is something to be thankful for.

I am thankful I live in Canada. I had always taken the benefits available in Canada for granted until this year. I received wonderful care during my pregnancy, was rushed in for 2 emergency surgeries with great Drs., and had babies in the NICU for 18 days. How much did I pay? Nothing out of pocket. Now to be fair I am sure in taxes over the years Ian and I have paid for all the care I received, but it was wonderful not to have to worry about how we would pay our hospital bills. Also, I will get to spend the first year at home with my babies and will continue to have a pay check. My employers can't take my job away from me because I want to be at home with my babies. Compared to the stories I hear from people living in other countries, living here is really something to be thankful for.

I am thankful for the material things in my life. Ian and I have been blessed with employable skills and good jobs and have been able to provide for ourselves. I live in a warm , comfortable house, my horses have a comfy barn, we drive safe vehicles, and have nice things. Material things aren't that important in the big picture, but they sure do make life easier and more enjoyable.

And lastly, I am thankful that I no longer have a student loan!!!!!! A few weeks ago I made the last payment on my loan, and now they are gone. YIPEEEEE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment